Friday, March 15, 2013

A Twenty-Twenty with the romance of a test match


I write this from 40,000 feet above the ground. But this is no regular
trans-Atlantic crossing. My mind has taken me far away from here. I was thinking
about the B-school pass out reunion I just had, celebrating 10 years of passing
out. It was good fun, and everyone around had put in a lot of effort to make it
happen and happen well.

That got me to contemplate things that have happened to me besides B-school.

As I tried look for things in life altering perspective, I was conscious of not
trying to be too journalistic, of not trying to label every other event as an
epoch making one. Of calling every little twist as a turning point in the annals
of history. Or closer to now, calling every li'l new feature in an Apple iphone
design a paradigm shift.

Of all the things my mind took me through, it got stuck at something that
started twenty years ago: that fateful day on the Ides of March, 1993.

The day I landed in Jamalpur and the day Jamalpur Gymkhana became an integral
part of my life.








It set about the transformation of a pretty routine, straightforward,
academically oriented life to the experience of being a Gymmie boy. It gave me a
massive amount of exposure to stuff I had never known before, it made me self
sufficient and independent. It got me loads of confidence. It got me into a very
strong network, with extremely well laid out operating principles.

The rationalist in me poses a set of counter questions. Would I have been a
different person had I not been a part of Jamalpur Gymkhana? Wouldn't I have
achieved financial independence and a confident outlook anyway? Would I be
looking at Jamalpur with a different lens had I still been on the railways, with
a possibility of getting posted there. Doesn't everyone say the same thing about
wherever they spend this stage of life in ?

So, what's different ? Or is there anything different ?

It's not that red building, it's not that playground, and it's not the
impressive portals. Most of the people with whom there are a large set of shared
experiences are also not a part of Jamalpur Gymkhana anymore. Nobody at JG
these days even knows about, leave alone look at, the three different Jamalpur
Gymkhana websites I had created in the 90s which spoke about life @ Gym in those
times.
( http://jamalpurgymkhana.tripod.com/ )
( http://www.jamalpurgymkhana.co.in/ )

So what is it ?

I think it is the feeling of home. The feeling that this is a place I can always
go back to,. A place where I will always have stories to share. And listen. A
place where I can feel comfortable just being myself. A place where I need not
have to put on pretence {as long as I follow the club rules ;-) }

I like this. I feel good at my answer.

What of the future? I further the question. Is Jamalpur Gymkhana still relevant
(for me)? Will it remain relevant?

its a question almost akin to asking "Do your parents remain relevant to you
after you become an adult". Just as one does with parents, I derive a lot of
strength from my association with JG. And I always live with the feeling that
Gymkhana is home. A place where I will always be welcome.

I look out of the window. The ocean below never looked nicer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

[b][url=http://www.beatsbydrepad.com/]Cheap Beats By Dre[/url][/b] every time my spouse and i available generally unit, i used to be awesome fascinated from design along the primary perception, and as well as jobs that most were into providing the right give. they come in a that freezer carrying case, just for travel combined with unique ripping tools wire connections. Second, some earbuds have a magnificent sound quality.


[b][url=http://www.beatsbydresea.com]Beats By Dr Dre[/url][/b] A telemarketing web link is very essential in a workplace with virtually no conditions. it will be natural that be operating the enterprise in minimal fact whereby you could possibly want each one or two phonephone things rather than just opting for substantial socialize. them telephone number sources might be interconnected for time hospitals just as take and then choice sending.


http://www.beatsbydreking.com this could an in history ideal tv series. the actual simply writing is very useful, the most important personalities are perfect, the storyplot is exclusive and clentching. my spouse and i that in regards to this performance. with every defeated a person will reputation relating to, spend some time by using. be certain that every microsoft word you spit carries your romantic heart inside or create what you need to in order to make the song your ultimate. i mean, never conclude honing your skills basically because learning equates to life expectancy in the music society,

Anonymous said...

geotorelxzp debt consolidation loan
low interest loans

Anonymous said...

buy valium valium for anxiety - valium online us pharmacy

Surya Rao said...

Dear Deepak Sapra,

I was quite fascinated to read your comments on Jamalpur Gymkhana. I presume you were a SCRA during 1990s. I was born in Jamalpur and had my education till Class IX in Railway schools there. My dad was working at the Railway Workshop. On his retirement, we left Jamalpur in 1961 and settled down in Hyderabad. I had a long professional career as a Software Engineer and now I am the founder Managing Editor of Muse India (www.museindia.com), a literary web journal devoted to Indian literature.

Presently, I am compiling a book on Jamalpur, wherein I have a section on
'Reminiscences' of those who lived there. These include a few of former SCRAs. I will greatly appreciate if you can send me an article on your own life and times at Jamalpur and photos that you may have. I need this pretty urgently as the manuscript is ready and goes for page layout work later this week. Can you send me the write up this week itself? I wish I had become aware of your blog much earlier.

With warm wishes,
GSP Rao, Managing Editor, Muse India
207 Maruti Ville Green Apts, Vikrampuri,
Secunderabad 500015, Telangana.

email: gsprao2003@gmail.com