Friday, July 22, 2016

Mohd Shahid - a genius and a gentleman


Two days ago, Indian sports lost one of its greatest heroes , Mohd Shahid, Olympic gold medal winner 1980 Moscow olympics. 

I was fortunate to meet Mohd Shahid in 1997. At Diesel Locomotive Works in Varanasi. I was a probationer on Indian railways and had requested him for time, for which he willingly obliged . 

 His office table had a hockey turf instead of the usual glass top. I asked him about it - he said it is a reminder of the game that he loves the most. We chatted for about an hour - spoke of the 1980 olympics, 1984 Los Angeles disappointment , of the 1982 Asiad , of Zafar Iqbal, Hasan Sardar . The stick work. The rivalry with Pakistan. Astro turf. 

 Chai followed. 

Just when it was time to leave, I made a request - can I see the Olympic gold. His eyes lit up . He got up and walked up to the almirah in his office, opened the safe , took the medal, closed his eyes for a second, and showed it to me.

 Can I touch it- I asked . 

He put it in my hands. 

So, here I was. Holding an Olympic gold medal in hand. Even now, the last Olympic gold that india has won in a team sport. 

The enormity of the occasion got to me. I hugged Shahid. I kissed the medal too. It was quite a heavy thing. Literally. And the moment was heavy too. 

Some seconds later, I handed it back to Shahid with both hands. It was one of the most electrifying moments of my life. 

when I heard of Shahid s passing away, that day came back. One of the most cherished days of my life. 

Be well, Shahid and God bless you- wherever you are. We will miss you

No comments: