Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Yuri Gagarin and Valentina Tereshkova

It was the 27 th of December, 2016. Exactly a year ago. 

Jaadoo ( my son) , Ipsita( my wife) and I were at the Hyderabad airport arrivals area. 

The flight information monitor in front of us was displaying 'Arrived' as the status for Vistara airlines flight UK-879 from Chandigarh. 

Passengers started coming out of the terminal . It was easy to make out who the passengers from Chandigarh were - their attire was a giveaway. Heavy woollens, coats, mufflers, scarfs as protection from weather in a place that was cold, windy and foggy this time of the year. 

We started looking at the passengers , trying to search for my mother and father ( Ammji and Papa, as I call them ) amongst the scores of trolley pushing people coming out of the terminal. 

Then, suddenly, I heard Jaadoo say - "Look - Valentina Tereshkova and Yuri Gagarin" and he was pointing towards Ammji and Papa, who were just coming out from the baggage claim area and towards the arrivals where we were waiting. 

His reference to the Soviet cosmonauts - the first man and the first woman to go into space - was clearly a comment on their dress - their thick jackets and hoods were almost space suit like , and that's what prompted him to give this name. 

For comparison, we were in Hyderabad and were dressed in a no-woollen
, no-winter attire- I was wearing a light cotton shirt and jeans- and hence, the comparison was even more stark . 

We all had a hearty laugh at Jaadoo's impromptu naming of his grandparents and told them when we met - "Welcome Valentina and Yuri". 
 
I am writing this blog almost a year later, an year from the time we welcomed Yuri and Valentina. 

And we are at the same place. Hyderabad airport arrivals area. 

The scene at hyderabad airport is familiar to what it was a year ago - Jaadoo, Ipsita and me are standing at the arrivals area. I am looking at the display screen for the arrival time of the flight from chandigarh . The passengers slowly start streaming out - the attire of the passengers is in contrast to those waiting at hyderabad to receive them. 

There is only one difference for me. 
we are standing waiting for Yuri Gagarin - only Yuri- the thought that Valentina Tereshkova is no more with us comes back again and again . 

Which flight did you take Ammji - my Valentina Tereshkova ? Which destination did you go to ? Your departure date was the 18 th of April 2017- What's your return date ? 

My dear Valentina - hope I will meet you again as a co-passenger on a journey some day. Or wait for you at an arrivals area . And in that journey, I will be blissful in the fact that I have you , once again, as a co-traveller. 

Till we meet again, my Valentina Tereshkova ! 

And for my Yuri Gagarin- Papa- welcome to Hyderabad . We will make the most of this present journey. 

No comments: